The concept of sewing both theoretical as well as practical is quite a broad one. It takes years to excel the art for sewing correctly. Apart from learning about the parts or anatomy of the sewing machine, the techniques and patterns of sewing, and how the tool works, another vital chapter in this subject is to know the essential tips and know-how of solving mistakes that may occur knowingly or unknowingly.
Every user of the device, be it a beginner or an experienced individual, everyone faces issues while working with the mechanism involved in stitching. One must know some basic quick-fix to amend the situation and not stop working amid the project.
Singer Sewing Machine Troubleshooting: Overview
Below is some Singer sewing machine troubleshooting that will help you to analyze and solve some serious problems. They are as follows:
Thread Peeking Beneath The Fabric
One common issue that needs dealing most of the time is when a thread gets entangled and forms loops on the opposite side of the material. It implies that the
the upper thread is not fit-in correctly and
the placing of the thread is not as per the necessary force for the mechanism
the thread did not pass through the lever
The solution for this is simple and easy. Just take the whole thread apart, and rethread it again. Follow the steps below to do it correctly this time:
- Step 1: Raise the presser foot
- Step 2: Lift the needle as high as possible
- Step 3: Thread it such that it fits the mechanism
- Step 4: Take the level up
- Step 5: Release the presser foot.
Fraying Of Thread
Old and poor-quality thread shreds easily while sewing for not being able to withstand the force. Non-maintenance of the machine can also be a reason. Another cause can be the wrong needle and incorrect thread size.
As a remedy to this issue, maintenance of the sewing machine is a must. Every user must have in-depth knowledge about how to choose the correct thread and needle size. Also, purchase a good quality thread or embroidery floss for every sewing project.
Improper Feeding Of Fabric
The primary reason for the fabric not able to pass through the machine while sewing can be because of not lowering the presser foot lifter and stepping on the pedal, before doing that. Thus, for proper feeding of the fabric, lowering the presser foot is the best solution.
Also, if the setting of stitch length is 0 (zero), this issue will arise. Increase the range as a necessity and have a smooth feed of the fabric.
The Uneven Winding Of Bobbin
If the placing of the thread is incorrect around the tension spring, the thread will not wind properly. To resolve such an incident, release the thread and wrap it around the tension spring of the bobbin again.
Skipped stitches occur due to the following reasons:
A dull and incorrect size of the needle results in skipped stitches. Make sure to use a sharp, pointed needle and correct size of the needle as per the fabric you are using.
Ensure that the insertion of the needle is correct. For avoiding skipped stitches, push the needle far up the shaft and put the flat portion on the backside.
Breakage Of Needles
Needles during sewing often breaks because, either they may have become blunt or there is too much force during the pull of the fabric while sewing.
To avoid needles to break during work, check the needle before every use. Every needle must be sharp, smooth and undamaged. Also, as the fabric feeds through the machine while sewing, do not pull or push with great force. Just use light hands for guiding the material.
Tips To Remember
Other than the above-mentioned singer sewing machine troubleshooting techniques, also have a look for some easy and simple tips that will make your silly mistakes resolve quickly. The list is as follows:
- For general sewing, use thread size T-40.
- Regular oiling of the machine is essential for lubrication. Just a few drops once a week in the bobbin and handwheel will be good to go.
- Set the dial as per the stitch length for a particular pattern.
- For better results, set the width dial to the highest.
- Insert the bobbin correctly to avoid looping on top of the fabric.
- Push the bobbin winder to the left before starting to sew or else, the needle will not operate and pick up the thread.
- Use the correct size of needle and thread for heavy sewing fabric. Also, change it regularly after continuous use.
- While initiation to sew, turn the handwheel anti-clockwise always.
- Keep the edge of the fabric aligned for a straight seam.
- Before sewing on the actual fabric, try on a scrap piece of the same material.
- As beginners, do not rush. Control the speed of sewing and keep your foot down in the pedal.
- Ensure that the cord of the electric sewing machine is in perfect condition, to prevent short circuit.
- Clean the machine to remove dust and lint.
- Annual maintenance of the machine is a must.
Singer Sewing Machine Troubleshooting: Final Thoughts
Follow this singer sewing machine troubleshooting tips to solve the usual problems. The sewing machine can at times be challenging to correct even after the general solutions. In such cases, get help from a skilled user who has better ideas.
Every different brand manufactures their sewing machines with unique and personalized features which distinguish them from other similar products in the market. Thus, for some significant issues with the device, contact professionals from the same brand.
Also, every device accompanies a user manual, for instant solutions read the manual thoroughly. Keep it safe and handy so that you can reach out whenever required. Follow the instructions while setting up a new machine. Invest in a new device if the existing one is not giving desired results. A well-maintained tool, along with its proper usage, will surely help you achieve excellent experience throughout its longevity.